Looking for ideas and Inspiration for writing in your Homeschool? Or are your kids just out of ideas on what to write about? We are always looking for new writing prompts for home education.
Here I have a list of inspiring writing prompts for kids to get the creative juices flowing.
How to use the writing prompts
Either pick a writing prompt for your children’s next writing project, let them choose their own or, and this is what we like to do, write them down on separate pieces of paper, put into a bowl or jar and then pull one out next time you are stuck for something to write about.
Writing Prompts for Kids
- Imagine you are a character in your favorite book. Write about what happens to you in the story.
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
- Write a letter to your future self 10 years from now.
- What would you do if you found £100 on the ground?
- Tell a story from the perspective of your pet.
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
- What is your favorite memory?
- If you could invent anything, what would it be and why?
- Describe what your perfect day would be like.
- If you could be any animal, which one would you choose to be and why?
- What does happiness mean to you?
- Write about someone who has made a positive difference in your life.
- What’s your favorite animal and why?
- What kind of food do you hate and why?
- What’s the best present you’ve ever received and why?
- What’s the worst present you’ve ever received and why?
- What would you do with a million pounds?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- What’s the bravest thing you’ve ever done?
- What’s the scariest thing that’s ever happened to you?
- Write about a time when you were really proud of yourself.
- Write about a time when you made a mistake.
- Write about someone who is important to you and why they are important
- What’s your favorite animal and why?
- Describe your best friend in 3 adjectives.
- What’s your favorite season and why?
- What’s your favorite food and why?
- What is your favorite book and why?
- Who is your hero and why?
- What are you most proud of?
- What do you want to be when you grow up and why?
- What would you do if you could turn invisible whenever you wanted?
- You’ve been invited to spend a day with a genie who will grant you three wishes. What are your wishes?
- You’ve just won a contest to spend a week in space! What are you most looking forward to doing/seeing?
- You’ve just been transported to a different planet. Describe your new home and what life is like there.
- You wake up one day to find that all of your toys have turned into candy! What do you do?
- Write a story from the perspective of your favorite object in your room.
- If animals could talk, which one would you want to have a conversation with? Why?
- What would the world be like if everyone had wings?
- You’re at a museum when suddenly, all of the paintings come to life! What happens next?
- You’re at a restaurant when you notice that the people around you are slowly turning into animals…
- What are your favorite things to do outside?
- What is your favorite color and why?
- What is your favorite hobby?
- What is your favorite thing to learn about?
- Write about what you think the world will be like in 100 years.
- Writing about a time you were extremely embarrassed
- Writing from the perspective of your favorite animal
- Write a short story that starts and ends with the same sentence.
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
- If you could go back in time and relive one moment, what would it be?
- Describe your perfect weekend getaway
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
You can adapt and change any of these writing prompts for kids to suit your children. Creative writing is an important skill for all children but above all remember to make writing fun in your homeschool.