Do you want to build a snowman with your kids? Looking for a fun indoor science experiment to keep your kids entertained? Find out how to make fake snow, learn the science behind it and have fun building a snowman inside using homemade fake snow.
This fake snow recipe is super simple to make with only two ingredients.
You Will Need:
- 1 bowl
- 1 tablespoon
- 3 small cups of bicarbonate of soda (100g)
- 1 tablespoon of white hair conditioner
- Small tray
- Glitter (optional)
How To Make Fake Snow
- Measure 3 cups of bicarbonate of soda (100g) and place it into the bowl.
- Measure 1 tablespoon if hair conditioner and add it to the bicarbonate of soda.
- Use a spoon to mix all the ingredients together. If your Snow is too runny add some more bicarbonate of soda. If the mixture is too dry add some more hair conditioner.
- You can now add some glitter (optional).
- Once you are happy with the consistency of your snow, place it on the tray and enjoy playing with it.
Questions To Ask Your Kids
What does the snow feel like?
Is it cold like real snow?
Can you build a snowman?
Kids can have great fun building their own snowman. They can use a cocktail stick to make a nose and a ribbon as a scarf. We cut a small part off the cocktail stick and painted it orange. Use small sticks or twigs for the hands and arms. For the eyes and buttons use small stones or beads.
The Science Behind The Experiment
Mixing together the bicarbonate of soda, a solid with hair conditioner, a liquid, creates a matter called a colloid.
What Is A Colloid?
A colloid is a mixture of two or more substances mixed together but not chemically combined. Combination of molecules mixed through other substances that will not settle out or join with the other substance.
This colloid feels like snow and it is cold to the touch. Bicarbonate of soda (sodium bicarbonate) mixed with the hair conditioner (lanoline) creates a mixture that is cold to touch, otherwise known as an endothermic reaction.
What Is An Endothermic Reaction?
An endothermic reaction occurs when energy is taken in from the surroundings and the temperature of the surroundings decreases.
It is fairly rare to get an endothermic reaction in the safety of your own home without using actual chemicals.